Generally the Presidential Primary is rather uneventful because by the time the Primary comes to NJ, it seems the candidates are already chosen. This year it looks like a much closer election, so our vote for the Presidential candidate is even more important.
In addition to praying and seeking God’s wisdom as to whom you should vote for in the party you have chosen to affiliate with, I ask you to take time to pray for those serving in government leadership. God’s Word is clear:
1 Timothy 2:1-4 (NKJV)
Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.
You may ask, “How do I pray for them”? I would ask you to consider, what are you looking for in a leader? You might also refer to the “30 Ways to Pray for People in Authority” by Gary P. Bergel. I gave you information from that last month. Here are a few more suggestions from Gary’s list:
1. That they be convicted of sin, transgression and iniquity. (Ps. 51:17, Jn. 8:9)
2. That they read the Bible and attend prayer meetings and Bible studies.
(Ps. 119:11, Col. 3:2)
3. That they value and regard the Ten Commandments and the teachings of Jesus
Christ. (Ps. 19:7-11, Jn. 8:31-32)
4. That they be given godly counsel and God-fearing advisors. (Prov. 24:6)
5. That they would have courage to resist manipulation, pressure and the fear of
man. (Prov. 29:25, 2 Tim. 1:7)
Patricia L. Wenzel
For Gary Bergel’s complete “Ways to Pray for People in Authority” go to:
http://www.getamericapraying.com/downloads/30%20Ways%20bookmark-FINAL8.pdf or at http://www.ifapray.org/