The entirety of your word is truth… Psalm 119:160
When you are reading the Bible, do you every find yourself asking the question, “Do I believe that?” If you do, let me encourage you to consider Psalm 119:160, “The entirety of your word is truth…”
If you are a true believer, you may be thinking “well, of course I believe it.” But if you are a skeptic, you may be thinking, “I believe some of it, not all of it” or “I believe the principles but not the actual events.”
Perhaps you are a follower of Jesus Christ yet have friends that don’t believe the Bible is true. How do we prove the authenticity of Scripture without using the Scripture?
Glad you asked.
There is scientific evidence that supports the biblical text written long before mankind made the discoveries.
Here are just a few examples:
1. The earth free-floats in space (Job 26:7). While other religions declared the Earth sat on the back of an elephant, or was carried by a giant turtle, the Bible alone states what we now know to be true – “He hands the earth on nothing.” How could ancient man have known this?… no other ancient culture stated this.
2. The ocean has currents (Psalm 8:8). Three thousand years ago the Bible described the “paths of the seas.” …In the 19th century Matthew Maury – the father of oceanography – researched and charted ocean currents that follow specific paths through the seas.
3. The most documented biblical event is the world-wide Flood described in Genesis 6-9. A number of Babylonian documents have been discovered which describe the same Flood.
4. The walls of the Temple of Amun in Thebes, Egypt have evidence of the campaign of Pharaoh Shishak into Israel in 1 Kings 14:25-26.
5. The existence of Jesus Christ as recorded by Josephus, Suetonius, Thallus, Pliny the Younger, the Talmud, and Lucian.
6. Just recently (January 4th) in an article in “The Washington Post” – “…archaeologists started peeling away layers under the floor in an old abandoned building adjacent to the museum in Jerusalem’s Old City…as they carefully dug down, they eventually uncovered something extraordinary: the suspected remains of the palace where one of the more famous scenes of the New Testament may have taken place – the trial of Jesus.”
7. There is scientific evidence that concurs with the Bible in areas of paleontology, astronomy, meteorology, biology, anthropology, hydrology, geology, physics, etc.
God’s Word is true; All of it. Rather than ask, “Do I believe that?” affirm “I believe it.” It can change your life.
Diane Hunt is a Biblical Counselor, Women’s conference and retreat speaker and author. She serves as the Director of Partner Care and Director of Women’s Ministries at America’s Keswick. She and her husband John have 2 married children and 4 grandchildren. She loves reveling in warm sunny climates and playing with her grandchildren.